Boujaad carpets are named after the breed of sheep traditional of this region. The Zayan tribes who live in the mountains of the Middle Atlas, around Khenifra, weave carpets with long wool, golden reflections and usually warm tones in shades of red, purple and sometimes yellow. These exquisite carpets are rare and difficult to find.
Each Boujad rug is uniquely crafted. Each rug tells a different story with the use of traditional Berber designs & motifs.
Boujad rugs are hand woven pile rugs made using natural wool fibers and vegetable dyes. Newly woven rugs will show strong vibrant colors, typically reds oranges, pinks and/or purples. Whereas, older vintage rugs may have lovely washed pastel tones.
There is no right or wrong spot to put a beautiful Moroccan Boujaad rug, although we would suggest that you place them in lower traffic areas. Because of how these rugs are made they are more delicate than your chain store copy cat. The pile of each rug may vary depending on its history. Some you may find to be extraordinarily plushy, while some are closer to a flat weave.
No one can deny that Bajjad rugs are among the most beautiful ones in Morocco. This carpet is Handwoven by talented Amazigh women from the Middle Atlas Mountains.
These creative women use tribal geometric design, ethnic signs, and codes, which gives them a unique charm and mystery. Each one of the rugs tells us a different story, we can find a rug telling us about happiness and joy, and at the same time another one about sorrow and sadness.
The women take pride in their artistic know-how, let’s support them by making their rugs a piece of art in our space.
Parcel delivery will be in business days.
- All purchased items will be shipped to destination within 1—3 days.
- Delivery of shipped items will be within 3—7 days depending on destinations.
- Shipping custom made products will depend on how long it takes to make the item. Once finished the shipping details will be communicated to you via email.
- To complete your shipping request, we require a valid delivery address. We use a trackable shipping service. We will send you the tracking number via Email once the package has been sent.
- Express shipping with DHL is available for an extra charge.
- Check our shipping & return Policy at the footer of the website.
Common sense will take you a long way when it comes to keeping your carpet gorgeous and clean. Follow these simple tips:
- Vacuum regularly Remove dust and dirt with a powerful vacuum cleaner. This is a good habit that improves the air quality in your home and ensures the durability of your carpet. Note that heavy traffic areas may need more regular vacuuming than other areas.
- Use doormats at entrances A simple walk-off mat or entrance mat prevents dirt from getting transferred all over the building and into the fibre of your tufted carpet. Make sure to clean these mats often, so that they do not become a source of dust and dirt themselves.
- Take care of spills as they happen It is best to take care of spills as quickly as possible. Don’t let liquids or dirt dry up and set in. The quicker you act, the easier the stain can be removed. Follow the stain and spill removal guidelines below.
Why buy from us
Supporting local economy
When you buy from Moroccan Artisan you are buying very locally. Buyers can directly support Artisans & you know where the money is going, it’s nice to know you are making a difference.
Unique handcrafted products
Whatever category of Artisan product you buy it will be unique and handcrafted, this is the opposite to mass-produced products. Think farmers’ market rather than a supermarket as just one example.
Artisan handcrafted products are made to last. They are made with top-quality materials and ingredients. As each item is handmade it will be unique, no two items will be exactly the same. For some products, buyers can speak to Artisans and request customisations, personalisation and alterations to their exact specifications.
An emphasis on quality
Buying Artisan is an investment in quality. An Artisan creates a product with love, not because it’s their job. Artisans have attention to detail, value the hand making process end-to-end and work hard to deliver a stunning product to the customer.
Artisans products are not necessarily low-cost (as they use high-quality ingredients and take time to make). Artisan product quality is important therefore, as Artisans know they need to deliver excellence on quality to compete versus online marketplaces such as Amazon and eBay. A part of quality is respecting tradition, which we discuss next.
Keeping traditional skills and crafts alive
Buying from an Artisan helps to keep traditional skills and crafts alive. Rather than using assembly lines and machines, Artisan products are handmade. Buy Artisan and help to keep traditional skills alive (examples include embroidering, glass artistry, pottery making, silversmithing, weaving, etc. to name a few).
As one example, a food Artisan would make food to a traditional recipe and would avoid using modern-day ingredients which have artificial sweeteners, colourings, preservatives, thickening agents and other chemicals.
More meaningful purchases & gifts
Handmade products mean it is made by hand and not by machine. Every piece is put together with care and thought. We labour over every part to ensure the final product is something we are proud of. Handmade goods may be more expensive, but you are paying for hours of hard work and ethically sourced materials.